Professor: Zuguo Liu
Associate Professor: Xiaobo Zhang
Postdoctoral Fellow: Zhengri Li
Research Assistant: Caihong Huang
Postgraduate Students: Yang Wu, Yanfeng Chen, Liying Tang,XiangLin, Qichen Yang, Li Zhu, Shu Yang, Gao Peng
Tear film and dry eye
Tears, secreted from lacrimal gland, meibomian gland and other orbital subsidiary glands, form the tear film on the ocular surface to provide nutrition, lubrication and protection of corneal and conjunctival epithelium cells. The damage of tear film can result in ocular surface inflammation, apoptosis of epithelial cells, squamous metaplasia, goblet cell loss, and other pathologic changes of the ocular surface, which causes various symptoms in patients. In the severe cases, abnormality of tear film can cause corneal ulcer, neovascularization, as well as permanent visual impairment.
The prevalence of dry eye is very high in the nation and the world. About 20-30% of Chinese population is affected by dry eye. Our group has been committed to the research of dry eye epidemiology, pathogenesis, animal models, drug screening, and treatments with research funding from national and local governments. Meanwhile, the clinical center of the eye institute, Xiamen Eye Center, participated and played key roles in many multi-center clinical researches. We are the first in the world to establish a tissue culture model to mimic the pathological changes of dry eye, we also established the stable mice dry eye model by BAC induction. We have published a series of high-rank papers on international and national ophthalmologic journals, and filed several Chinese patents in the field of dry eye research.
Corneal tissue engineering
According to the statistics, more than 4 million people in China are blinded because of severe corneal diseases. However, only about 3,000 cases of corneal transplantation were performed each year in China due to the extreme shortage of cornea donor tissue. Therefore, the development and application of corneal tissue substitutes, so-called tissue engineered cornea, is worth of persistent and industrious investigation.
Our team is committed to corneal tissue engineering study, including the tissue engineered corneal epithelium, xenogeneic tissue engineered corneal stroma, and tissue engineered corneal endothelial. The research projects are supported by the National High Technology Research and Development Program (863 Program) and the Natural Science Foundation of China. In the past three years, we have made major progress in the optimization of tissue engineered corneal epithelium, cell extraction and effectiveness evaluations of xenogeneic engineered corneal stroma. In Science supplement issue in April 2012, we reported that lamellar corneal tissue from porcine was successfully transplanted to human, which is the first report of xenogeneic corneal lamellar keratoplasty in human.
1. Chen L, Ren J, Yang L, Li Y, Fu J, Li Y, Tian Y, Qiu F, Liu Z*, Qiu Y*. Stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1 mediated cell apoptosis in colorectal cancer by promoting ceramide synthesis. Sci Rep. 2016 Jan 27;6:19665.
2. Wang YC, Li S, Chen X, Ma B, He H, Liu T, Yu J, Zhang L, Chen Y, Liu Z*, Li W*. Meibomian Gland Absence Related Dry Eye in Ectodysplasin A Mutant Mice. Am J Pathol. 2016 Jan;186(1):32-42.
3. Li J, Li C, Wang G, Liu Z, Chen P, Yang Q, Dong N, Wu H, Liu Z*, Li W*.APR-246/PRIMA-1Met Inhibits and Reverses Squamous Metaplasia in Human Conjunctival Epithelium. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2016 Feb 1;57(2):444-52.
4. Zhang L, Zou D, Li S, Wang J, Qu Y, Ou S, Jia C, Li J, He H, Liu T, Yang J, Chen Y, Liu Z*, Li W*.An Ultra-thin Amniotic Membrane as Carrier in Corneal Epithelium Tissue-Engineering. Sci Rep. 2016 Feb 15;6:21021.
5. Hong J, Zhong T, Li H, Xu J, Ye X, Mu Z, Lu Y, Mashaghi A, Zhou Y, Tan M, Li Q, Sun X, Liu Z*, Xu J*.Ambient air pollution, weather changes, and outpatient visits for allergic conjunctivitis: A retrospective registry study. Sci Rep. 2016 Apr 1;6:23858.
6. Chen Y, Yang W, Zhang X, Yang S, Peng G, Wu T, Zhou Y, Huang C, Reinach PS, Li W,, Liu Z*,.MK2 inhibitor reduces alkali burn-induced inflammation in rat cornea. Sci Rep. 2016 Jun 22;6:28145.
7. Qu Y, Chi W, Hua X, Deng R, Li J, Liu Z*, Pflugfelder SC, Li DQ*.Unique expression pattern and functional role of periostin in human limbal stem cells. PLoS One. 2015 Feb 6;10(2):e0117139.
8. Chen Y, Deng F, Zheng J, YinJ, Huang R, Liu W, Lin Q, Gao Y, Gao X, Yu X, Liu Z*, Chen J*.High circulating level of interleukin-18 in patients with primary Sj?gren's syndrome is associated with disease activity.Mod Rheumatol. 2015 Mar 24:1-3.
9. Jiemin Zhu,He Hong-Gu,Xiuzhu Zhou,Haixia Wei, Yaru Gao,Benlan Ye, Zuguo Liu*,Sally Wai-Chi Chan*. Pain relief effect of breast feeding and music therapy during heel lance for healthy-term neonates in China: A randomized controlled trial.Midwifery.2015 Mar;31(3):365-72.
10. Han Y, Shao Y, Liu T, Qu YL, Li W, Liu Z*. Therapeutic effects of topical netrin-4 inhibits corneal neovascularization in alkali-burn rats. PLoS One. 2015 Apr 8;10(4):e0122951.
11. Yun Han, Yi Shao, TingTing Liu, SangMing Li, Wei Li, ZuGuo Liu*. Therapeutic effects of topical Netrin4 in a corneal acute inflammatory model. Int J Ophthalmol. 2015 Apr 18;8(2):228-33.
12. Hong J, Yu Z, Jiang C, Zhou X, Liu Z*, Sun X, Xu J*. Corvis ST Tonometer for Measuring Postoperative IOP in LASIK Patients. Optom Vis Sci. 2015 May;92(5):589-95.
13. Deng, F, Chen J, Zheng J, Chen Y, Huang R, Yin J, Gao, X., Lin Q, Huang C, Gao Y, Yu X*, &LiuZ*. Association of BAFF and IL-17A with subphenotypes of primary Sjogren's syndrome. Int J Rheum Dis. 2015 May 4.
14. Poon MW, He J, Fang X, Zhang Z, Wang W, Wang J, Qiu F, Tse HF, Li W, Liu Z*, Lian Q*. Human Ocular Epithelial Cells Endogenously Expressing SOX2 and OCT4 Yield High Efficiency of Pluripotency Reprogramming. PLoS One. 2015 Jul 1;10(7):e0131288.
15. Yang L, Li L, Chen L, Li Y, Chen H, Li Y, Ji G, Lin D, Liu Z*.Qiu Y*.Potential analgesic effects of a novel N-acylethanolamine acid amidase inhibitor F96 through PPAR-alpha. Sci Rep. 2015 Aug 27;5:13565.
16. Liu Z, Qiu F, Li J, Zhu Z, Yang W, Zhou X, An J, Huang F, Wang Q, Reinach PS, Li W, Chen W, Liu Z*. Adenomatous polyposis coli mutation leads to myopia development in mice. Plos ONE. 2015 Oct 23;10(10):e0141144.
17. Dong, F, Liu, C Y, Yuan, Y, Zhang, Y, Li, W, Call, M, Zhang, L, Chen, Y, Liu, Z*, & Kao, WW*. Perturbed meibomian gland and tarsal plate morphogenesis by excess TGFalpha in eyelid stroma. Dev Biol, 2015 Oct 15;406(2):147-57.
18. Shao Y, Tang J, Zhou Y, Qu Y, He H, Liu Q, Tan G, Li W*, Liu Z*. A novel method in preparation of acellular porcine corneal stroma tissue for lamellar keratoplasty. Am J Transl Res. 2015 Dec 15;7(12):2612-29.
19. Chen J, Dong F, Chen W, Sun X, Deng Y, Hong J, Zhang M, Yang W, Liu Z*, Xie L*.Clinical efficacy of 0.1% pranoprofen in treatment of dry eye patients: a multicenter, randomized, controlled clinical trial.Chin Med J (Engl). 2014;127(13):2407-12.
20. Qiu F, He J, Zhou Y, Bai X, Wu G, Wang X, Liu Z, Chen Y, Ma JX*, Liu Z*.Plasma and vitreous fluid levels of Dickkopf-1 in patients with diabetic retinopathy. Eye (Lond). 2014 Apr;28(4):402-9.
21. Zhen Zhang#, Wen-Zhao Yang#, Zhen-Zhen Zhu, Qian-Qian Hu, Yan-Feng Chen, Hui He,Yong-Xiong Chen, and Zu-Guo Liu*.Therapeutic Effects of Topical Doxycycline in a Benzalkonium Chloride–Induced Mouse Dry Eye Model.Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2014 May 6;55(5):2963-74.
22. Lin Z, Zhou Y, Wang Y, Zhou T, Li J, Luo P, He H, Wu H*, Liu Z*.Serine protease inhibitor A3K suppressed the formation of ocular surface squamous metaplasia in a mouse model of experimental dry eye.Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2014 Aug 7;55(9):5813-20.
23. Ma J, Zhou D, Fan M, Wang H, Huang C, Zhang Z, Wu Y, Li W, Chen Y*, Liu Z*.Keratocytes create stromal spaces to promote corneal neovascularization via MMP13 expression.Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2014 Sep 4;55(10):6691-703.
24. Zhang Z, Huang Y, Xie H, Pan J, Liu F, Li X, Chen W, Hu J*, Liu Z*.Benzalkonium chloride suppresses rabbit corneal endothelium intercellular gap junction communication.PLoS One. 2014 Oct 9;9(10):e109708.
25. Huang C#, Wang H#, Pan J, Zhou D, Chen W, Li W, Chen Y*, Liu Z*.Benzalkonium chloride induces subconjunctival fibrosis through the COX-2-modulated activation of a TGF-β1/Smad3 signaling pathway.Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2014 Nov 18;55(12):8111-22.
26. Xu YX, Zhang LY, Zou DL, Liu ZS, Shang XM, Wu HP, Zhou Y, He H, Liu ZG*. Differential expression and function of survivin during the progress of pterygium. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2014 Dec 2;55(12):8480-7.